Is your TMJD a TMS? (Then EFT for TMS/TMJD would help you turn things around.)
If you tend to suffer from chronic tension and have pain or illnesses, please consider looking into TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome or Tension Myoneural Syndrome, or MindBodySyndrome) Originally proposed by John E. Sarno, MD. with his popular books ("Healing Back Pain"), TMS attempts to explain this treatable pain syndromes.
General and Very Basic TMJ / TMJD Information from Trusted Public Sites
The TMJD Association: tmj.org (Following Links from TMJ.org website)
Questions You Should Ask (PDF download)
Atlanta / Decatur region TMJ Specialists
- Dr. Mayor Maggan at Center for TMJ Therapy (I do not have personal relationship with them)
- Dr. Mayoor Patel at http://atlantaheadachetmjpain.com/ (I do not have personal relationship with them)
- Frank Ko, PT at 57 Executive Park location. Requires Dr. referral. Their number is 404-778-6390
Other Local Therapies and Practices in Decatur Area that can Support TMJ issues
- Acupuncture for All Decatur offers walk-in services, appointment slots, sliding scale fees, and passes for weekly, two-weeks, and monthly unlimited visits (1/day). If you were suggested dry-needling, this affordable acupuncture would cover that and more. Highly recommend this valuable and affordable option for your concentrated treatment.
- Other acupuncturists: There are so many wonderful acupuncturists in the area that can serve you well. Please feel free to ask for other names.
- Functionize Health and Physical Therapy, Lauren Sok, PT 302 E. Howard St. Decatur GA 30030
Energy Healing/Medicine Practitioners with Experience in TMJ Issues
Kelmie and Ellen have been instrumental in helping me understand TMJ issues from the perspective of Energy Medicine. They are both practitioners/instructors of Eden Energy Medicine. The way I have understood them (and other energy practitioners) is that, mainly the Gall Bladder Meridian and Triple Warmer Merdians blockages are what contributes to pain in the TMJ region. If you look at the diagrams of those two meridians, you can understand why, and if you come in and get a session from me, you will also feel the release of tension from those acupressure/acupuncture points.
Here is what Kelmie says: "Lots of things can cause meridians to get stuck. Stress, emotional upsets, EMFs... And yes, this can be true for all meridians, not just Triple Warmer & Gall Bladder, though they can be especially triggered by stress. Generally the emotions for imbalanced Gall Bladder are frustration & anger." (I have yet to ask what emotions are the main contributor for Triple Warmer's, and I hope to continue to look into this.) If this rings a bell to you, you tend to have frustration, upset, anger, good news is, there are ways to deal with it!
TMJ RELATED INFORMATIVE READINGS
- "Sturctural Integration Relieves Muscle Strain and Tension" by Sonya Prater, RDH, BS, FACE. A very good read that covers a lot of material from a (I'd call her) a holistic dentist's approach.
- "TMJ Sufferes Have Another Option for Relief"
- "TMJ: Think Muscles for Jaw Pain" provides a good, quick description of the specific muscles and their relationship with trigger points.
- Massage Thearpy for Bruxism, TMJ Syndrome Explains different muscle groups and how trigger point therapy could help, from a therapist's point of view.
- Myofascial Pain Treatment Center explains Myofascial Pain, and they provide dry needling
- Occlusion Connections : TMD Cervical Dysfunction Problems
TMJ EXCERCISES & NATURAL APPROACH SITES
- TMJ Exercises, by Oxford University Hospitals
- 21 Home Remedies Exercises and Natural Cures for TMJ Treatment (with excercises)
- Temporal Mandibular Joint Self Help (self trigger point therapy and excercises)
TMJ RELATED SUPPORT SITES/GROUPS
Other TMJ Massage Therapists Websites in English
- Advanced Massage Technique For TMJ, Face & Jaw Pain (UK)
- Advanced Bodywork & Massage Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy (Warrendale, PA)
EFT and Audios for (TMJ) Pain Relief
If you have any suggestions, recommendations, please send them in.
I would love to compile a resource section that is practical, useful, helpful and inspirational.
Suggested Readings if you have had stress and trauma, and you suspect that could be the underlying cause of your chornic pain
- Bassel Van de Kolk, "The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma"
- Gabor Mate "When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress"
More Truama Resources
- David Baldwin, http://www.trauma-pages.com/
- Jon Kabat-Zinn, http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/whatMBSR.php
- Peter Levine, http://www.traumahealing.com/somatic-experiencing
- Stephen Porges, http://www.stephenporges.com/
- Dan Siegel, http://drdansiegel.com/
- Bessel Van der Kolk, http://www.traumacenter.org/
Meditation Resources: (Look up Mediation, and find something you like - these are just some starting poitns)
- https://www.meditainment.com/pain-management-meditation (free meditation)
- http://www.chopra.com/ccl/guided-meditations (free meditation)
The following are part of my to-read/to-research collection, but I will go ahead and list them here in case they are helpful.